Wednesday, June 30, 2010

2009 Water Quality Report

Any of you who heard me campaign know that my main reason for running for the District Board of Directors was to ensure our drinking water was safe for consumption and our daily use. Recently you should have received the nice little brochure that is sent out by the District every year reporting on the quality of our water. If you haven't received yours, or thought it was junk mail and just threw it out, send me an e-mail at jroot@wcid89.org and I'll send you a copy.
I have learned a LOT about what all it takes to get water of any quality delivered to our houses. AK and I took a tour of the sewer treatment facility (definitely wanted a gasmask while touring it - eeewwww!) and the well with Laney Brown, who is our Southwest Water operator. I am pleased to report that there is now a gas-powered generator that will keep our water flowing even if electricity is knocked out by Hurricane Alex or any other hurricane that comes closer to us this season. We also have an impressive array of pumps that carry the water to our homes. But the further away the well is from the house, the harder it is to keep pressure constant. And the quality of the water is affected by the number of pipes it must travel through before it gets to your tap.

No comments:

Post a Comment